Consortium on Ethics in Higher Education
The Consortium is a global platform for expert exchange on and the promotion of ethics in higher education. Its members are higher education institutions that engage to support and implement the objectives of this initiative through collaboration and mutual support. Established in June 2017, the Consortium on Ethics in Higher Education was relaunched at the beginning of the new Globethics strategic period 2023-2027.
Mindful of the fact that an ethical society is needed to train future leaders for values-driven life centred on sustainable development, the Consortium aims to:
- Facilitate the exchange of expertise and resources among the academic community and the dissemination of research and scientific knowledge on ethics;
- Strengthen the ethical reputation of higher education by supporting values-based decision-making in the governance, management and daily practice of educational institutions;
- Promote professional ethical awareness and equip teachers to teach values;
- Support higher education institutions and their student communities with tools and resources to think and act according to values;
- Engage with academic umbrella organisations, international stakeholders, and policymakers to leverage the integration of ethics and values-based policies in education and in research; and
- Advocate for further consideration of ethics in higher education quality assessment, ranking, resource allocation, and governmental and international support.
The Consortium’s goal and actions are aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the UNESCO Education Framework 2030 to:
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education for all and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all;
- Ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development; and
- Develop effective, accountable and transparent institutions at all levels, contributing to the common good in a just, inclusive and sustainable way.
Learn more about the Consortium on Ethics in Higher Education and how to join. Contact Consortium coordinator Maria Eugenia Barroso: [email protected].